In my long list of design/style interests is the art of naming. Often, I want to ask new people I meet what their children’s names are for the sake of adding to my personal study of name trends. Only I am afraid they will think that question will be followed by “what’s your address?” and “would you mind sharing your credit card number?” Alas, I am slightly more covert in my mission.
I know that when I was born, there were two people named Grace, me and my great-grandmother. Then, when I was entering my teenage years, everyone seemed to tell me their dog was named Grace and “how cool was that?” Awesome. Not. I thought “why would you want to give a dog a person name?”
Now, I am totally guilty of the same phenomenon. Our dogs are named Sam and Kelly. We kept the names they were given at the shelter because they just seemed to fit. However, they also have a long list of pet names which rivals any Moxie CrimeFighter or Moon Unit. First, witness my professional doodles of the spotted “sisters.”
First, we have Sam. The pit bull, basset hound, corgi, something or other that is the most darling dog you will ever meet. Sometimes we call her Sam, sometimes we choose from one of the following…
- Bouge (Booge or Boo-zhee, Origin: Bourgeois)
- Original Bouge (Sam is the first born.)
- Habanero Bouge (Not sure.)
- Pit Bull Face
- Samantha Carmichael Bougewater (When we’re mad at her…)
- Medium-Size Bouge
- El Toro (via our very lively animal-crazed vetrinarian)
- McGwamus or Seamus McGwamus (Every dog has an Irish name, obvi.)
Then, we have little sister Kelly. Kelly has been with us since August, but has quickly earned her own slew of names. She is part beagle, part dachshund, part incontinent or insubordinate, we can’t decide.
- Little Bouge (Of course.)
- Poopums Dog (You can guess.)
- Beagle Face
- The Regal Beagle
- Sugar Baby (For the appearance her face takes when you hold her upside down.)
- Kelly Ann Dagarino (Because every dog should have a full name.)
- Little Girl
- Kelly the Belly
- Smelly Kelly
So as you can see we are very inventive. And, if the boyfriend could come up with some of these crazy names, you will surely be entertained at the names he comes up with for our future children when drunk. I will save that for another day. For now, enjoy these pics of Original Bouge and Little Bouge modeling. They’re naturals.